Monday, October 4, 2010

First Day of the New School Year

Monday, October 3, 1949

40 W. 96th St.
New York City, NY

Dear Art,

Received your letter this morning. I sure enjoyed hearing from you. Gee! It’s wonderful to get mail.

It’s almost 10 o’clock and this is the first time I’ve rested all day. On the first day of school, wouldn’t you think they would let us play around? Well! You should see all the homework they piled on me! I worked for almost three hours tonight. Of course, I am a slow worker.

Traphagen homework assignment by June
that illustrates fabric textures.
Honestly, the work this year is going to be terribly hard. I hope I’m not completely wasting Daddy’s money. Something new to worry about.

Other than that, it was fun seeing all the old classmates from last year again. I haven’t sighted any prospective roommates as yet, but reports are a trifle encouraging. (There was talk...) We seem to have a few prospects.

We don’t have a radio yet and never buy a newspaper, but from what I gather from passing people in the street, the Dodgers and Yankees will play the series. Did you and Joe celebrate?

I see where you say not to study too hard but to get my homework done. Art, I’m no magician. It can’t be both!

Please write soon.

Love,

June

(Tomorrow – life without a car in Southampton.)

© 2010 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment