Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Life Without a Car

Tuesday, October 4, 1949

20 Cooper St.
Southampton, NY

Dear June:

I got your letter yesterday. It sounds like you’ve been working pretty hard. Let me know about your roommates, I hope you had good luck.

Art's Nash.
 I’ve been taking it pretty easy lately (no car, of course). I went in the Nash garage yesterday to see about my car. It sounds like it’s almost finished. With luck, I should have it in a day or two. I sure hope so – I’m really lost without it. If I do get it back before this weekend I’m thinking of coming in to you. Don’t worry – if I do come, I’ll try and phone you first. Will you be around the apartment on Saturday? If I call person to person, will the landlord know who I’m asking for? Does he know you by now? If I come in, it will be Sunday morning, I imagine. I’ll take you to church, maybe.



Charcoal sketch by
Art Price.
I came home Saturday night at 10:30 after the show. On Sunday, I listened to the ballgame and went to bed early. Last night I went to the movies (alone) and saw Under Capricorn. It was lousy. Don’t bother to see it.  Tonight, I've been working on my art course.

I hope you finally got a check cashed. Do you want a character reference from me?

The boss asked me today if I want to start my vacation on Oct. 17, two weeks from now. So maybe I’ll be seeing you more often than we thought.  Don’t work too hard now. Remember me to Shirl and to your family when you write them.

Love,

Art

(Thursday – letters from both June and Art…)

© 2010 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment